Vladimir region is the one of the oldest historical and artistic centers of the Russian land. The territories that are parts of the region from of old constituted the core of the Vladimir-Suzdal principality and since the end of the eighteenth century they were the parts of the Vladimir province.
The Grand Duchy of Vladimir (since 1157 till 1362) was formed due to the transference of the capital of the Rostov - Suzdal principality by the Grand Duke Andrei Bogoliubsky to Vladimir on river Klyazma. There are several points of view on the city settlement date. In one version it was founded by Prince Vladimir Svyatoslavich in 990, in the other - it was founded in 1108 by the Prince Vladimir Monomakh. Under the Prince Andrew Bogolyubsky and his successors the city reached the height of its fortunes.
In the second half of the twelfth and the early thirteenth centuries, the Grand Principality of Vladimir was the largest economic, political and cultural center of Russia. The transference of the political center of Russia to Vladimir played an important role in formation of the Great Russian and the Russian nation. Economic and political influence of Vladimir-Suzdal principality was undermined in 1238 by the ruinous Mongol-Tatar invasion.
Culture of the Grand Duchy of Vladimir left a deep mark in the history of the entire North-Eastern Russia. Vladimir school of architecture influenced the stone architecture of Moscow and other Russian cities. Among the outstanding monuments of Vladimir-Suzdal architecture of the twelfth and the early thirteenth centuries there are stone Assumption and Demetrius Cathedrals, Golden Gates, Church of the Intercession on the Nerl River.
Political and cultural traditions of the Grand Duchy of Vladimir were conceived by the Grand Duchy of Moscow during the formation of a centralized Russian state.
In 1778, Vladimir Province was formed and in the same year it transformed into the vicegerency, which included 14 counties: Alexandrov, Vladimir, Gorokhovets, Vyazniky, Kirzhach, Kovrov, Melenky, Murom, Pereslavl, Pokrov, Sudogoda, Suzdal, Shuya, Yuryev-Polsky. Vladimir Province was one of the most industrially developed provinces of the European part of Russia.
Since the twelfth century the textile industry started to develop there (factories in Ivanovo-Voznesensk, Shuya, Vyazniki, Murom, etc.). In Melenky county Botashov's iron works were operated . In the second half of thirteenth century Maltsov's glassworks were founded in Sudogda County (now Gus-Khrustalny district).
Most industrial establishments were located in villages and settlements. In the nineteenth century the Vladimir province was one of the textile industry centers; 31 percent of the total amount of cotton fabrics produced in Russia were manufactured there. Home crafts were very widely used in the province. Weaving plaid the leading role. Icon workshops were known since the end of the seventeenth century (Shuya, Palekh, and Mstera). Vladimir and Suzdal masons as well as carpenters from Pokrov and Gorokhovets had all-Russia reputation.
At the end of the nineteenth century the area of the province was 42.8 thousand square versts, and the population – comprised 1570000 people; there were more than 1350 plants and about 150 thousand of workers.
The revolutionary events of the year 1917 and the civil war practically did not affect Vladimir region. The big changes came with the beginning of industrialization, there were built textile, machinery, instrument and glass industries enterprises.
In 1929, after the liquidation of the Vladimir province its territories were parts of three regions: Ivanovo, Gorky and Moscow.
During the Great Patriotic War, a great contribution to the victory was made by the defense enterprises and, above all, by the Kovrov plant, where the famous design bureau headed by the gun maker Degtyarev operated.
On August 14th, 1944 set up Vladimir region was formed within its present boundaries.
In 1945 the first stage of the Vladimir Tractor Factory was put into operation. During the period from fifties till seventies a number of large industrial enterprises were built and reconstructed, and Vladimir region became one of the mostly industrialized regions of Russia.