The Vladimir Region History Historical Events

Historical Events

Year (years)
Events
990
Date of foundation of the city of Vladimir (according to chronicles) Kievan Prince Vladimir the Red Sun
1024
The first mention of Suzdal
1108
 
1152-1234
Kievan Prince Vladimir Monomakh fortified the city of Vladimir by building a new fortress

White-stone construction in Vladimir-Suzdal land
1169
Final transfer of political centre from Kiev to Vladimir
1238
Tatar-Mongol invasion of the Vladimir-Suzdal land
1252-1263
The rule of Alexander Nevsky the Grand Prince of Vladimir
1299
Transfer of the residence of the metropolitan of Kiev and All Russia to Vladimir
1395
Transfer of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God – the main Russian relic - to Moscow
1408
 
1432
Andrei Rublev and Daniil Chyorny’s painting of the Dormition Cathedral in Vladimir
 
Vladimir principality ceased to be the center of the joint Russia: since that time the grand princes were crowned not in Vladimir’s but in Moscow’s Dormition Cathedral.
1564
Establishing of oprichnina by Ivan the Terrible and the tsar move to the new residence - Alexandrova Sloboda – the capital of state till the year 1581.
1611-1612
Participation of natives of Vladimir in the Volunteer Army led by Minin and Prince Pozharsky against the Polish-Lithuanian invaders
1719
 
1724
Vladimir became provincial centre of Moscow governorate
 
Transfer of the remains of St. Alexander Nevsky from Vladimir’s Cathedral of the Nativity of Our Lady to St. Petersburg
1756
Foundation of a crystal glass factory by Akim Maltsov on the river Gus (now the city of Gus Rhrustalny)
1778
 
1781
 
1783-1785
 
1797
 
1812
Vladimir became the centre of  Vladimir province, which included 14 counties
 
Regular development plan of the city of Vladimir was approved
 
Construction of the building of Prisutstvennikh mest (now – the Chambers of Vladimir-Suzdal museum-reserve)
 
The first printing house was opened in Vladimir
 
Formation in Vladimir province of a 15 thousand Volunteer Army under command of B.A. Golitsyn  
1834
 
1838
 
1838
The first public library was opened in the city of Vladimir
 
Highway from Moscow to Nizhny Novgorod was laid
 
Start of publishing newspaper Vladimiskie Gubernskie Vedomosi, participation of A.I. Herzen, who was exiled to Vladimir within the period from 1838 till 1840, in publication
1848
The first provincial professional theater was established
1854
Museum in Vladimir was established
1861-62
Beginning of the railroad traffic on route Moscow – Nizhni Novgorod
1885
"Morozov" strike (occurred at the Timothy Morozov’s factory in the village of Nikolskoye, Pokrovsky county of Vladimir province, 8000 workers took part in it)
1892
 
1893
 
1898
 
1913
 

May 10th, 1917
First Marxist circles appeared in Vladimir and Ivanovo-Voznesensk
 
V.I.  Lenin arrived in Vladimir to meet the revolutionary N.E. Fedoseyev
 
Vladimir provincial scientific archival commission was appointed
 
Visit of the Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna to the cities of Vladimir, Suzdal and Pereslavl-Zaleski
 
Provincial Council of Soldiers' Deputies was formed
1919
 
1922
Museum was opened in the city of Yuryev-Polsky 
 
The light alloy "kolchugalyuminy" was developed at Kolchuginsky copper roll mill, which was used for building the first Soviet all-metal aeroplane
1927
The first Soviet 100,000 spindles spinning factory was built in the settlement named after Lakin in Sobinsky district
1929
 
1929
Ivanovo industrial district was formed, which comprised the most part of Vladimir province
 
Dzerzhinsky Technical Glass Factory (the fist Soviet powered glass factory) was established in the city of Gus Khrustalny
1931
Vladimir Chemical Plant was opened
1932
Avtopribor plant was opened
1932
Alexandrovski radio manufacturing plant, one of the first in the industry, was established
1934
The title of the Hero of the Soviet Union was awarded to N.P. Kamanin, the first native of Vladimir region, city of Melenki, for the rescue of Chelyuskin party memvers
1943-1945
Commissioning of the first phase of Vladimir Tractor Plant
August 14th, 1944
Vladimir Region was formed.
1946
Radio manufacturing plant was built in the city of Murom
1954
All-Union R&D Institute for mineral raw materials synthesis was formed in the city of Alexandrov
1956
Upper Paleolithic site called Sungir was discovered near Vladimir - one of the most northern ancient encampments
1958
Vladimir-Suzdal museum-reserve of history, architecture and art was founded
1965
 

1974
 
 
1992
 
1998
Amendments were made to the administrative-territorial division of Vladimir region, within which 16 districts were formed.  This administrative-territorial division is preserved till the present.
 
The city of Suzdal was awarded the Badge of Honor Order for outstanding contribution to the promotion of cultural heritage and preservation and restoration of ancient art and architecture monuments, for the mass tourism development
 
Unique architectural monuments of Vladimir region were included into UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List
 
The city of Raduzhny was founded

Update: Wednesday, 19 December 2012 07:32
Created: Tuesday, 13 July 2010 05:52